February 20, 2006

Goosebumps: LotR quotes

"So Pippin poursed out his tale, reaching up and touching Gandalf's knee with trembling hands. "Cant you save Faramir?"

"(The door) stood wide open, and the porter lay before it. He was slain and his key had been taken. 'Work of the Enemy!' said Gandalf. "Such deeds he loves, friend at war with friend; loyalty in confusion of hearts!' "

"..I will not be thy tool! I am Steward (of Gondor). I will not step down to be the dotard chamberlain of an upstart. Even were his clain proved to me, still he comes but of the line of Isildur. I will not bow to such a one, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity....I would have things are they were in all the days of my life, and in the days of my longfathers before me: to be the Lord of this City in peace, and leave my chair to a son after me, who would be his own mater and no wizard's pupil. But if doom denies this to me, then I will have naught, neither life diminished, nor love halved, nor honour abated."

How often is this the reply one gets from those not willing to give their life COMPLETELY to God...we have such pride within us! We dont want to give up our own "power", our own dreams..so often this seems to be the case within myself...it looks so ugly here in Denethor, yet, we except it so easily from one another..

"The knowledge which (Denethor) obtained (by looking into the palantir) was, doubtless, often of service to him, yet the vision of the great might of Mordor that was shown to him fed the despair of his heart until it overthrew his mind."

"Then an old wife who served in the House of Healing, looking on the fair face of Faramir, wept, for all the people loved him. And she said: "Alas! if he should die. Would that there were kings in Gondor, as there were once upon a time, they say! For it is said in old lore: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer. And so the rightful king could ever be known."

Then Gandalf said, "Let us not stay at the door, for the time is urgent. Let us enter! For it is only in the coming of Aragorn that any hope remains for the sick that like the House."

No comments: