October 19, 2006

domestic therapy.

So, life has been all "unpredictable" of late...and that combined with the cooler tempatures ( which we've already discussed)...I've been ALL about the cooking ( and baking).

So, here are the two recipes I've been craving the past few weeks-that I have finally settled down to making:

New Zealand inspired "Pumpkin" soup:

1 large Kabocha Squash ( the closest thing I could get to the new zealand pumpkin)
1 large onion
3 cups of vegtable stock
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons of margarine
1 cup of milk
1 teaspoon cumin
1teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
ground black pepper
salt ( to taste)

Chop and peel your squash...I suggest your sharpest knife...these babies are tough to get into, and cutting off the outer skin can be difficult. Make sure you remove alll the pulp and seeds too! I recommend relatively smallish cube shapped pieces-makes it easier later on...

Chop and peel your onion.

place squash, onion, veggie stock and bayleaves in saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the squash is soft and the unions are totally translucent. Remove your bayleaves.

Melt the margarine in another saucepan, add the flour and mix well...be careful its going to clump reeeeally fast! But, then add your milk while mixing and mix until you have a smooth sauce.

Add to your squash mixture as well as your seasonings. It doesnt matter if you mash your pumpkin together or leave it in "chunks" -I personally like it all mashed together-
At this point I suggest that the cook should start tasting the soup...it really comes down to your own personal taste whether or not you add more chili powder, salt or pepper ( personally I went wild with my black freshly ground pepper...and I think it was better for it!)

This soup is best eaten with a thick piece of brown bread...toasted.

Yum!


Junior Mint Brownies

I was reminded of this recipe several weeks ago-it was one of my favorites in high school...but I'd forgotten alll about it! I'm making them tonight!

cooking spray
1/4 cup of butter/margarine
3 oz. Junior Mints ( the King sized box!)
1 c. flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 large egg
1 large egg white

Preheat oven for 350 degrees ( F!)
Coat bottom of 8 in. pan with cooking spray

combine butter and mints in a glass measuring cup, microwave for 30 seconds. or until soft...stir until smooth and set aside.

Combine flour, soda, salt in a bowl. Combine sugar, cocoa, egg and egg white in a large bowl; beat at medium speed...or until well blended. Add mint mixture. beat well. Add flour mixture, beat on low speed until blended. Pour batter into pan. Bake for 20 minutes.

Cool. Or, if your like me...eat them right out of the oven..it will be messy but it'll be worth it.

mmmMmmmmMMmmm!


See? I feel better just telling you the recipes. Now, in the same vein as me wishing there was an instruction manual to life. I also wish there was a recipe book for life. Buuuuut, this is the best I can do. ;-)

No comments: