October 22, 2005

Part 2: The Fellowship "goodness"

So, here are some more of the quotes I've delighted in in the past few days....I am coming to the end of The Fellowship of the Ring...which is sad in a way...like saying goodbye to an old friend for another season....
but there's just a little bit more to treasure before its over...and then on to the next!

Merry: "You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin-to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours-closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo."

This is pretty famous nowdays...but its WONDERFUL, and gives me chills every SINGLE time I read it:

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.


This one has personal meaning...and it really struck me this particular read through:

" I have," said Strider. "I dwelt there once, and still I return when I may. There my heart is; but it is not my fate to sit in peace, even in the fair house of Elrond."

Gandalf about Frodo: "Still that must be expected," said Gandalf to himself. "He is not half through yet, and to what he will come in the end not even Elrond can fortell. Not to evil, I think. He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can."

This is what I want my dream house to be like:

...The Last Homely House east of the Sea. That house was, as Bilbo had long ago reported, " a perfect hourse, whether you like food or sleep or story-telling or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all."

This is what I think angels must be like:

Glorfindel was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold; his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy; his eyes where bright and keen; and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom and in his hand was strength."

They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away, nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods."

'Despair or folly?' said Gandalf. 'It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not."


Aragorn: "We have passed no place on the way up that offered more shelter than this cliff-wall we are under now."
"Shelter!" muttered Sam, "If this is shelter, then one wall and no roof make a house."

No comments: