January 19, 2009

The Swing

I feel like its been so long since I've posted a post worth posting-but the only way to make that happen again is practice practice practice. ( or something).

So, without further ado. My weekend at the Navigator "Ignite" Conference. It was basically a gathering of the NorthWest Navigator ministries, mostly geared towards the campus ministries, but with workshops and such- with a lot of input from the Seattle Metro ministries...and of course the Military ministry provided....ummmm....we provided the most people, and the LOUDEST people ( our group was definitely the most opinionated, outspoken group of the bunch...)-which doesn't it make sense that I'd be a part of that group?!

The weekend turned out to be personally rewarding not because of the main speaker, or the worship or the really awesome food or "goodie bags" or even the fabulous hotel...I got the most out of talking with the Navigator staff members who were there at the conference, I learned about some of the other ministries that the Navs have to offer and I was delighted to find that I can now recommend any number of options to people who want to get plugged into a Christian community that is going to be Bible based and discipleship focused...options that pretty much meet people in ALL sorts of walks and seasons of life. Pretty cool!


This weekend I also felt affirmation that my desire to see more prayer within the Fort Lewis ministry was definitely something that needs to happen and that I should not be afraid to do what I can to see that into a reality. I have always felt passionate about prayer, but I have felt a re-igniting of that over the past few weeks and this weekend was big encouragement that I needed...
Funny story, I was assigned to lead a small group discussion at the end of each day of the conference and the first night I arrived at my small group to find that I had an older guy mixed in with my girls. Weird. But I just went with it ( apparently all the groups were suppose to be a "mix" but mine was a bit one sided)....I then went ahead with what I had planned and ended my small group with a prayer time and before we prayed I made a small little appeal for them to not be afraid to sit and silence and just listen to what the Holy Spirit might have to say ( I've found that there is a sad lack of 'waiting upon the lord' up here)....weeelllll, it didn't take very long into the prayer time to realize that this dude could pray(!) and lucky for me ( or I would NOT have made my lame-o appeal about prayer ) I found out AFTER the group was over for the night that this dude was Nav Staff and he and his wife were running the workshop on Prayer the next day! HA!
Anyway, I went to their workshop and it was SO wonderful to hear what they had to say...sometimes even just hearing Truths you know, but haven't heard spoken out loud in a while is JUST what the heart needs ....
The next night the Dude brought his wife along to our small group study and we got to talking about the Fort Lewis girls ministry....I am now excited that I have this new contact close by ( they run the Spectrum Asian American ministry in Seattle) that I can us as an added resource and encouragement this year! I feel like this is just ONE MORE affirmation that the Lord is here with me and that He WILL not just leave me to my own devises...but that my desire to learn more about ministry is really going to happen! I think I might actually get TAUGHT! Woo hoo!

The other great thing about this weekend was just getting to spend some more quality time with a hand full ( only four of us went) of the girls.... especially with Katie, who is a dear friend who I have missed so much over the past six months!

So, all in all, it was a perfect weekend and all that I could have wanted as a nice "kick off" to my time here at Fort Lewis.

The other thing I decided over the weekend was how I want to start my job search:
Three resumes...three coffee shops ( that's the ones here in Dupont, and yes that includes the Evil Corporation)....praying hard and hope for an opening!

1 comment:

donnave said...

Sounds wonderful, as if God had hand-picked everyone there...now, that's a concept!
Really happy that things ARE falling into place for you.

Love,
Aunty D