August 17, 2009

Lamaze classes are over due.*

It was around 10pm and Bethany and I had just settled in for a little late evening chat on my couch ( per usual) when this really annoying pain started to interrupt my flow of thought. Bethany was talking and I was trying desperately to concentrate but all I could think was ("pleasepleaseplease be anything but a kidney stone!")...but after having to stop mid-sentence to run to the bathroom to loose my dinner, I realized my prayers were a little late.

And here's where I'd like to take a moment to thank God for giving me a nurse for a roommate. Now, one might think that just about ANYONE can drive a person to the ER and answer a few questions and then wait for someone to give Abigail some drugs...and you'd be right...but I'm going to go ahead and put it out there that it takes a nurse, or someone else with super powers to put up with what happened:
three hours of me...writhing in pain, crying for drugs, throwing up ( as Lindsay eloquently put it: "everything...and it looked and smelled just like chicken soup! interesting!"...see?! I told you only a nurse...) and did I mention crying and writhing? Because there was SO MUCH of it!! But, Lindsay was amazing...she basically rubbed my back and told me everything was going to be fine and that "yes, she knew it was awful"....
When it came down to it, the ER was packed-since it was a Saturday night and we were on an army base where people like to get in fights and get overly intoxicated on Saturday nights...and that's not counting all the other things that come into the ER...so, yes, it was horrible and I had never stopped to think about what good service I've always gotten for my pervious four kidney stones...but, yeah, this categorically goes into the "NOT GOOD SERVICE" category...and it took them a very, very, very long time to finally give me drugs.

And Lindsay deserves a medal of honor...

*It was during the time when I was writhing in pain, asking for drugs, PLEADING for just about anything, that the nurses took my blood to make sure I wasn't pregnant...and all I could think about was, how LONG will it take them to find out what I already know?! That I'm NOT PREGNANT AND SOMEONE GIVE ME DRUGS ALREADY!!!! But, then my second thought was stone-cold-sobering....what if one day, I am pregnant!?! Will I honestly have to do a kidney stone without any hope of drugs coming? I've heard of people having a kidney stone and labor at the same time and I've always laughed it off because I figure anyone going through that would just DIE already, but I'm thinking that having a kidney stone at ALL while being pregnant is my new worst nightmare.
I'm thinking I'll have to learn how to meditate and do lamaze breathing BEFORE I even get pregnant-just to be safe. Otherwise, I'm going to have to keep a Lindsay in my house at all times...and have a "kidney stone coach" instead of a birthing coach.

And now I'm home, trying to pass a kidney stone. I've currently got Brett Bear** pressed up into my left side ( something about the pressure is good) and I'm well into season 7 ( the last one!) of The West Wing....

** Brett Bear is my stuffed bear that has a hot water bottle inside of it that Brett gave me for Christmas...he's turned out to be a life saver on all sorts of major occasions: the need for something warm to snuggle during the winter, something to help the tense muscles in my neck, something cool (frozen water bottles work too) to snuggle when it was 107 degrees a few weeks ago, and now...the shear weight of a bottle of water is excellent. Best. Present. Ever.


I love morphine on TwitpicAnd here's the picture Lindsay took of me after getting the long awaited morphine...

2 comments:

A Day in the Life of Christa said...

Awww poor abigail! I wish I could have been there to help you too. :( one thing about being a healthcare worker is that you always want to help someone when you see that they are sick or hurting. Doesnt matter if you know them or not. :) I love you and cant wait to see you!!!!!

Ffdskl Edhchgerg said...

As I always say -- the morphine the better!