September 27, 2009

in just one moment

So, I'm currently reading Amy Carmichael of Dohnavur, which incidentally is one of the greatest books of all times. I have read it multiple times and every SINGLE time I get something new out of it and I am usually so terribly convicted that I can only read a chapter at a time-otherwise I go away feeling as though I have eaten way too much chocolate cake ( i.e. good, but a tiny bit OVER FULL).

Just a minute ago, I was struck by this little sentence or two:

So simply, so without observation, do we turn the corner of the road of life, but as yet we did not know that we had turned the corner.

How often has this indeed held true in each our lives? Something that seems really inconsequential turns out to be a rather big deal in the larger scheme of the very definition of our existence.

Perfect Example: if I had not gone to that rather last minute New Years Eve Party, would Brett and I be married today? Such was an event that, at the time, and even for many months after-was just a mere blip on my radar...yet, it turned out to be a rather a giant propeller that ended up flinging me into a huge new road of life....


Yet looking at it a different way, sometimes we make a choice that we know will change our future-and yet, we have no way of knowing exactly what the "right" direction to take really is ( in fact, WAS there a right answer?)....When Brett left for Afghanistan I was left with a rather interesting position of having no place that I needed to be. I had no job, no one in the Army cared where I was, I had no children or position of any kind drawing me one place or another-and so, seemingly* without reason, I chose to come back to Fort Lewis, Washington where I have been for the past nine or ten months.

Now, looking back, I cannot imagine an alternative. My life here has been so incredibly full that I am now having a difficult time grasping it all in one fell swoop. It has been beautifully full of struggles and friendships and life changes and revelations and adventures and tragedy and joy- How could I have known that this path would turn out so?! I couldn't have known...and yet, the Lord knew, didn't He?!

You make known to me the path of life
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forever more. ~Ps 16:11


* I say "seemingly" but, the decision was largely based on an underlying feeling that my work here was not yet done. I also felt like I had much more to learn from the Navigator Ministry here. That seemed like a good enough reason as any, and I think that to follow such keys in the future ( 1. Go where you can be useful in the Kingdom. 2. Go where you can learn more about Christ and how to better serve Him. 3. Go where He tells you to go. ) will not go amiss.

1 comment:

Tabitha said...

Yay! You found a copy! I for one (of many I am sure) am very glad that you made the decisions you did.