October 12, 2005

good quotes thus far...

These are the things that make me smile or gasp accordingly,
From The Fellowship of the Ring:


"Me, sir!" Cried Sam, springing up like a dog invited for a walk. "Me go and see Elves and all! Hooray!" he shouted, and then burst into tears.
~

A fox passing through the wood on business of his own stopped several minutes and sniffed.
"Hobbits!" he thought. "Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under trees. Three of them! There' something mighty queer behind this."
He was quite right, but he never found out any more about it.
~

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Unitl it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
And wither then? I cannot say.

~
(Bilbo) used often to say there was only one Road, that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep; and every path was its trubitary. "Its a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."

~
Frodo to Pippin: "And now leave me in peace for a bit! I dont want to answer a string of questions while I am eating. I want to think!"
'Good heavens!," said Pippin." At breakfast?!" ...

No comments: