March 15, 2006

"make someone happy"

Thats a song....I have the version sung by Jimmy Durante...and it came into my head tonight as I sat here deciding whether or not to post or not...

Did you know that sometimes I stubbornly will NOT post? yeah, I think it has something to do with getting attention...but whatever...I'm not five anymore, so I'll try to overcome the silliness...

Today was my day off, and I spent most of the day "with myself"...which is always kind of nice, when you just sit and hang out alone. ( whoa, just now I got this weird "wrong number" call on my cell...this dude had the STRANGEST accent...would if have been wrong to ask him where he was from?!...oh well...)

Where were we? Oh, right...my day. I got quite a bit done, but that stuff is boring so I wont go into it....I'll tell you the fun stuff....

I had to go pick up a package I'd had delivered to my parents P.O. Box, and i just so happen to come upon my parents in the middle of a photo-shoot for Esther and Christa's graduation pictures...so I spent the next hour or so posing them, and making sure their hair looked perfect etc. etc...It brought back a serious passion of mine: When I was a HT at Carrington I use to do girls hair and makeup for balls and various other dressy events...which is ironic since I dont wear makeup on a day to day basis and I hardly EVER brush my hair...BUT, it is REALLY fun to make a girl feel pretty. Seriously, I think most of the girls I know do not KNOW how beautiful they are, and even if its just for a moment, I want them to be able to REALIZE how gorgeous they are...inside and out. I delight in it. I think its a serious shame that most girls do not know that they are perfect. Perfect just the way they are...
Anyway, I'm excited for these girls to see their pictures, I havent seen them yet...but Papa always does an incredible job of capturing unique beauty.....

So, remember that package I was talking about? Well, it was the first season of Extreme Makeover Home Edition....have you seen this show?! I first saw it in NZ at the Girls Flat...and seriously, every SINGLE episode that I saw made me cry. Now, I realize I cry at movies and tv shows all the time, at least I have lately, so I feel like I may have lost some crediblity...but let me just say, this show is AWESOME! This team of designers goes in and renovates ( in the greatest sense of the word) needy and deserving people's homes...in a week....and they always do little personal touches that really match the people's lives...ok, so as an example, there was this one family who had three little boys and they'd just bought their very first home (sort of a fixer-upper) when the dad got sent to Iraq, so his family wanted to suprise him by gettin the house fixed up before he got back ( they were living in really pitiful conditions)...and....ohmygoodness...I'm going to cry just thinking about it...they show actually GOT the Dad home to suprise his family....and...they did the back yard up as a mini-dodgers statium ( because all the boys loved baseball) and THEN several dodgers players came and played with them at the end...but you know what, even then...even with famous baseball players in their back yard, all those little boys could think about was having their daddy back...meeeeh....someone get me a tissue!!!

So, imagine me...on my couch...with tears streaming down my face.....yeah, that was me....


I wish I had that job, wouldnt that be FUN? to suprise people with amazing life changes that they couldnt get without help?!

But, I guess....doing little things for people is just as good, and in this day in which we live where the motto is most definitely "all for me and only me"...I guess that's just as unexpected and important....

Thus endeth this episode of "The lesson that Abigail learned today"

See you back at work tomorrow...

No comments: