October 08, 2006

back then

My father made a joke from the pulpit this morning about how he had been remiss in making childhood fun for his children...
I DID realize he was joking...but it did remind me of something from my childhood that I think is an example of the way growing up was for me...

I definitely had NO IDEA what was going on most of the time-as far as "realities" go...I didnt know how hard it was to pay the bills, or really how HARD my father had to work....I didnt know my parents struggles, spiritual or otherwise. I lived a pretty much blissful childhood...where the worst things that happened involved having to eat celery ( *shudder*)

But, there were times that my father would stop in the middle of whatever was going on and would make the whole family sing....

There was only one hymn that he made us sing...and I always thought, "silly Papa"

"strange...that he'd just stop in the middle of whatever was going on and make us sing"

But, now, looking back, I know more of the significance....I realize the importance of singing and not just any singing...the importance of proclaiming the Truth-even when I didnt realize the problems, the struggles, the Fight.....I was little and all I did was sing....but somehow even though I didnt get the full meaning of what was going on...I knew things were better after we had sung those words.


O God, our help in ages past, our hope for years to come,
our shelter from the stormy blast, and our eternal home!

Under the shadow of Thy throne still may we dwell secure,
Sufficient is Thine arm alone, and our defense is sure.

Before the hills in order stood or earth recieved her frame,
from everlasting Thou art God, To endless years the same.

Time, like an ever rolling stream, Bares all its sons away
They fly, forgotten, as a dream Dies at the opening day.

O God, our help in ages past, our hope for years to come,
Be Thou our guide while life shall last, and our eternal home.


I've heard the devil doesnt like it when we sing....I know its true.

No comments: