February 14, 2007

All in the name of looooove...

Man, you should SEE the kids here at the high school today. Talk about overthetop... no wonder I hated Valentine's Day back in the day ( it got a lot more bareable once I left school)....I have been tempted more than once to stop one of these kiddos and ask them just HOW MUCH they spent on giant-impractical-stuffed-bears. Ahhh well, it has actually brought back many a good memory of my friends and I having giant chocolate/java jack-fests to cover up the fact that we didnt follow your social norms and have silly high school BFs...I know I've got pictures from my senior year in highschool somewhere...that was really the best one, if I remember correctly Katie actually ditched her boyfriend to come hang out with us girls instead! hahaha.

Anyway...

Yesterday I got a fabulous book of 17th Century poetry in the mail...its out of print, but I'd tracked down the last published edition ( cerca 1952, yeah baby! It even had teeny tiny hand printed notes in the margins! OH! I love old books!!) ...and so I spent a good portion of last night, blissfully researching the life of John Donne...and I have to confess that I had secret satisfaction that I could still quote a good portion of this** poem from when I studied it in college/Uni! Yesssss...some of that education really did stick!

It could be argued that I do not actually USE the English part of my major-but I beg to differ. Life is not worth living if you can't appreciate the Beauty of art every so often....And HONESTLY, isnt this beautiful?!

**SWEETEST love, I do not go,
For weariness of thee,
Nor in hope the world can show
A fitter love for me ;
But since that I
At the last must part, 'tis best,
Thus to use myself in jest
By feigned deaths to die.

Yesternight the sun went hence,
And yet is here to-day ;
He hath no desire nor sense,
Nor half so short a way ;
Then fear not me,
But believe that I shall make
Speedier journeys, since I take
More wings and spurs than he.

O how feeble is man's power,
That if good fortune fall,
Cannot add another hour,
Nor a lost hour recall ;
But come bad chance,
And we join to it our strength,
And we teach it art and length,
Itself o'er us to advance.

When thou sigh'st, thou sigh'st not wind,
But sigh'st my soul away ;
When thou weep'st, unkindly kind,
My life's blood doth decay.
It cannot be
That thou lovest me as thou say'st,
If in thine my life thou waste,
That art the best of me.

Let not thy divining heart
Forethink me any ill ;
Destiny may take thy part,
And may thy fears fulfil.
But think that we
Are but turn'd aside to sleep.
They who one another keep
Alive, ne'er parted be.


The kids today and their giant bears...I bet they have NO IDEA about this kind of romance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dont bet they dont know. I almost know that they dont know. It was good having coffee with you yesterday! I enjoy our little visits very much!