December 29, 2008

"the movie is better"

So, thanks to those who gave your movie recommendations! Such fun! And you all had good ones, it was definitely hard to pick-especially since Brett and I are great lovers of books ( and movies)...but in the end we decided on Peter Pan, and this version in particular because it does much greater justice to the book ( which is beautiful) and I think this movie is also...if you haven't seen it, I think you'll like-I think it strikes at the heart of a child's desire for 'fairy tale' and imagination as well as the struggle to grow up-which, lets face it, I still struggle with. ;-)

The other movie picks this time were FireFox, with Clint Eastwood, which my brother-in-law picked, and it was an enjoyable little spy/action flick-and I probably wouldn't have watched it if I hadn't been at this movie event, so that's always nice.... broadening the horizons or something.
My parents chose Enchanted April, which was a nice change of pace-basically this movie is the earlier counterpart to all those "Under the Tuscan Sun" and "A Good Year" kind of movies about going on an Italian vacation to 'find what's missing'-this movie is sadly not out on DVD in the USA ( only VHS!)-but my readers in NZ are in luck! It is out where you are, strangely enough...but, I will say this...if you want a really wonderful entertaining/light-hearted/comical/romantic novel to read on your next rainy day or beach vacation-go get any of Elizabeth von Arnim's books, I promise you will not be disappointed!
Steve and Billie chose The Bourne Identity, which Steve had stayed up late for a week to read so that he could use it for his choice ( he got the Most Dedicated the the Marathon Award for this!), and of course it was worth it-the Bourne movies are soooo good, and I stand by the fact that the Bourne Identity is the best one because the film makers did not insist upon doing that jumpy all over the place shooting style that leaves me dizzy and carsick. Great movie.
And then, we ended with the "Bonus Movie" which both Ryan and Brett had wanted to watch, The Count of Monte Cristo-which is the perfect action/adventure to end the evening on! And while its hard for me to recommend this book since I havent read it ( you'll have to ask Brett on this one!), I DO recommend this movie, I find it satisfying every time I watch it!

So there you go! I ate more today than I did on Thanksgiving and Christmas combined-mostly because I never say no to Pizza and cheese balls....or chocolate for that matter-and we somehow ended up with leftovers even after 12 hours of movies and eating ( we had to take a break to walk around the block two times! hahaha!) ....but I suggest all of you start Movie Marathon Leftover Parties whereever you are, I promise it'll be a hit! ;-)

No comments: