June 30, 2009

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

This book was sent to me by my dear friend Amy K.. It seems rather fitting that of my friends, Amy would send me this little number, since Amy's always had a particular sense of humor that...well...is fitting to this book. Hehe!

Anyway, so basically, if you've read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen than you've got a pretty good handle on this book too...its the same characters, the same general plot line, except that everything has a mean twist. And by mean, I am basically saying mean. Characters that where subtly unkind to one another in the original novel ( i.e. Mr. Bennet/Mrs. Bennet's relationship...Lady Catherine and Elizabeth) are full of outright unkindness and cruel remarks and bloody fighting.
In fact, there is soooo much violence in this book, that I couldn't read it in long sections or I too ( like many of the characters within) would have considered vomiting.
Of course, what is to be expected of a book that is not Just about the coupling of singles...but also very much about the fighting of the Undead? Zombies. Seriously.
My positive review- without giving anything away, are the plot twists that include Charlotte Lucus, and Mr. Wickham-for they where particularly satisfying.
My Negative review-is mostly that this book is not for everyone...and while its incredibly clever in mixing a Classic novel with the current rage in todays culture for blood, guts and all things crude...I personally would not recommend it to the faint of heart.

All that being said, this book was positively genius in doing exactly what Jane Austen did in her time-which was to comment on society and its particular quirks towards decorum and what is important- and to do the exact same thing but with todays society and its particular quirks. This book does a great job of poking fun at the millions and millions of horror movies that seem to come out every weekend, it makes fun of the silly vampire/goblins phenomenon that seems to be running rampant among the youth of this nation.....no matter HOW badly written, it seems that if its about a handsome vampire-then we're all in. Unbelievable. Almost as unbelievable as this book, in fact. In the end "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" was much better written then the "Twilight Series" could ever hope to be....but then, again, that's not saying much-is it? ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your review! And, I have to say that my sense of humor isn't VERY slapstick anymore...I laughed about cerebral things, like Charlotte's development and what Mr. Darcy says to Elizabeth about the musket balls. Okay, so maybe the latter made me laugh because it was so unexpected. ;)

-Amy K.

Anonymous said...

Good review, especially the part about commenting on society. I'll definitely use this in the classroom.

Love you,
Yo Mama

kristy said...

Zombies find their way into so many things haha but to be honest they scare me!! Although, your book review makes me want to give it a read for a laugh :)

Justin said...

I want to read this too! I am glad you reviewed it as I am now forewarned regarding the gore.