July 01, 2009

A little gift

So, I started a new book this afternoon...its another book from my list, and my library just so happen to have it sitting on its shelves ( normally I have to request books and get them in a few days time), so it seemed destine that this be the next book that I read...its called " Reading the OED: One Man, One Year, 21,730 Pages" ( OED stands for Oxford English Dictionary for those of you who aren't bookish)....

Anyway, in the process of reading the first two chapters I've come to realize something about my style of reading...one of the things I do to gauge ( usually this is all done subconsciously) if a book is good or not, is if I can think of someone who I think would also like it. Would this book make a good gift? A good recommendation? A good doorstop?
If I find that book cannot fit into any of these categories for anyone that I know that ultimately I'm not that excited about it.
Thankfully, this current read has me thinking of several people already...

more to come...

2 comments:

Tabitha said...

I would read that book. It sounds awesome, combining two of my favourite things: books and dictionaries. It was a sad day when I had to leave my Condensed (or Concise - I can't remember)OED behind. Have fun!

Abigail... said...

Hahah! Tabs! You were one of the people I thought of! ;-)