September 09, 2009

Everybody nose

I don't know if you know this about me, but I have a sensitive nose.

Even as a small child I was always the first to announce the arrival of an uninvited smell by yelling out, "EWWWW WHAT'S THAT SMELL!?!?"

Yeah. I was a joy to have around as a child, no doubt about it.

Anyway, so you can IMAGINE how upset I got a few days ago when this weird smell started coming out of my fridge.

So I threw out the eggs.

And two days passed and I thought it was over, but still...when I'd open the fridge I'd smell something "off" and I started to feel seriously unhinged.

And that's when I started taking things out of the fridge and taking long inhales of breath over each item. But it was difficult going, because basically the bad smell was TAINTING the air and nothing smelled particularly WORSE than anything else.

So then I started taking everything out and cleaning the inside of the fridge like a mad women. The freezer was the first to be emptied and scrubbed...followed shortly by the fridge and by this point I was starting to feel light headed because I'd taken too many deep inhalations combined with the over use of cleaning product and yet still to KNOW AVAIL.

And that's when Lindsay, Jennifer and Tina moved the fridge to see if there was a dead rat under it. Which happened at the exact same moment when I went outside to DIE...because the idea of facing a dead rat was TOO MUCH TO BARE.


However, who would have thought, that NOT finding a rat under the fridge is, in some ways, much worse...because now the smell remains and I can only be lead to believe that there is something still inside the inner sanctum of my cooling unit.

I left a haggard message on the apartment managers voice mail saying that I need DRASTIC MEASURES TAKE. And SOON.

After all, Tabitha's coming to visit on Saturday...and we can't have her coming into a dead-rat-smelling apartment can we?!! NO WE CAN NOT. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I WILL NOT BE ALIVE to welcome her if the smell is not taken care of in the next 24 hours, since every few minutes I open the refrigerator door and take deep breaths to see if its still there ( it is.), and I don't think there will be any oxygen left in the room if I keep it up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Abigail,
Please update your blog and tell us what happened to the smell and if, as I suspect, the quiet handyman was involved and how THAT went.
Love,
Faithful Currently District Based- Dora The Explorer Watching Reader