November 13, 2011

A good season


Blessed are those who trust in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord.
They shall be like a tree planted by water, sending out its roots by the stream.
It shall not fear when heat comes, and its leaves shall say green; in the year of drought it is not anxious, and it does not cease to bear fruit.
Jer 17:7-8

I think we just might be in a “year of drought” around here. Now, I hesitate to say that because usually ( and here comes my non-Pollyanna thought process…) when I think things are bad I get shown what bad reeeeally looks like. But, anyway, instead of saying things are bad, I’ll just say that things are currently hard.
But, I was really encouraged by the whole “does not cease to bear fruit” part. I think I often critique my circumstances and think, “well, I shouldn’t start looking for God to do anything right NOW…because right now is really bad…I’m sure he’ll wait and do something later when things are better…”

Which brings me to Joshua 3. I read this a few months ago and was reminded of it today...This chapter BLOWS MY MIND. Imagine Israelites wandering around in the desert for 40 years and then finally, after all that time God decides to send them on over into the Promise Land…”when the river was at its fullest.” Um..really?! 40 years and God had to wait and send them during the rainy season?! During the season when crossing rivers is the hardest?!?!
WOW. Bad planning God. Or iiiiissss it?!
But, I bet the Israelites didn’t see it coming, bet they thought-as I would have, that surely God would wait for a more “optimal” time to do his work. Wrong.

I think we should expect God to move ALL the time! There is no bad season with God. There is no drought, or flood that can stop God from doing what He wants in our lives. His fruit has no particular season in which it grows best. Instead all that matters is the ground in which its growing. I need to stop looking around at my circumstances and instead make sure my tree has some deep/long roots….then just start watching. Because something’s bound to happen!

No comments: