February 04, 2013

An open letter...

This is my open letter to the maker of the two baby monitors that live in my home... They are made by the same company, they were roughly the same price and they are technically the same product, one is just discontinued and the other is the "newer" "better" version...
I'm talking about my Summer's Night and Day baby monitors. And in short, new is NOT always better..



I bought my first one back in 2010. It was a Christmas present for my sister, and since we're cool like that, and she bought me the exact same monitor, I fell in love with the monitor within just a few days. The picture quality was amazing, I could watch my child sleep ( or NOT as the case often was) in ease and calm knowing he was perfectly fine. And, even though there was some static ( mostly because we live on a military post where there is plenty of radio waves filler out there) I could still hear him well too. The really great thing was I could also take the baby monitor out to the mailbox, or even downstairs to my neighbors house during nap time and still see Ransom perfectly. The range was EXCELLENT, without any lag time ( which is really important when it comes to surveillance).  I love my monitor so much I bought it for two friends who were about to have their first babies and I recommended it to countless people... Lets just say, if I like you... I don't play coy, I tell evvvvvery body!

And then my second child arrived. Now MOST people just move their baby monitor from they toddlers room to the babies room, but that's not how I roll... I will watch Ransom until he asks me to stop, and even then I'll only CONSIDER stopping ( I'm kidding, but it IS true that I'm not ready to stop just yet). So, I went on amazon and ordered my new monitor.... I had to get a whole new unit because in the two years since I'd gotten my first one a "newer model" had been made and it was not compatible with the older one. THAT was annoying, but I figured, hey...they've got to make their money some how so I figured we'd just go with it for now....BUT THEN I got my new monitor and it was all sleek and smaller. It had buttons instead of scroll on and off dials, and it was missing the antenna. For the brief minute that it was still in the package I liked it better than my old clunky one....BUT THEN I TURNED IT ON.
While the screen seems to be the same size, the clarity that my older model has is just not there on the new one. And while the audio seems a tad bit clearer ( something that I find not important in my small house, where I can hear my children all over the house anyway....) the REAL kicker came when I carried my monitor from my bedroom into the kitchen. WHERE IT WENT OUT OF RANGE.
Now, friends, I do not live in a large house. We're talking smallish to mediumish in size ( those are technical measurements) and I feel like its ONLY reasonable that my baby monitor should at LEAST work within my own home! Forget about the mail box and the neighbors house ( my friends have moved anyway...), but MY OWN KITCHEN?!?? That's necessary! Also, even when I can get it to work in the living room, turn on the microwave in the kitchen and it will stop working.....MEANWHILE my old-school 2010 clunker is plugging away showing me great pictures of my son playing with his stuffed animals in his bed....It seems in my professional opinion that you opted to go with a "fancier" design and gave up on "quality" of the service your product is suppose to give. In my opinion that was a very very bad move.



So, to sum up, Summers....as a Mom when I order a baby monitor I care very little ( within reason) to design and sleekness, and I care a LOT about quality of picture ( since I AM ordering a video monitor from you, after all)...I did not order an iphone from you, I ordered a VIDEO MONITOR so I'll forgive you on design if you just give me practical usability. I'm very disappointed and I'm also living in horror that I've been recommending this product to people over the last year or so when the new model was all that was available and people were BUYING it on my recommendation only to have a sub-par product.  Sorry other new Moms...I'll make it up to you by recommending other things that actually ARE worth getting.

Love, Abigail

No comments: