January 24, 2006

Lord of the Ring Goodness, Part 3ish

"And here is your brooch, Pippin, " said Aragorn. "I have kept it safe, for it is a very precious thing."
"I know," said Pippin. "It was a wrench to let it go; but what else could I do?"
"Nothing else," answered Aragorn. "One who cannot cast away treasure at need is in fetters. You did rightly."
~

"It seems almost peacful now, after all the turmoil. And safer too, somehow, since Gandalf came back. I could sleep!"
~

"I will come," said Gimli. "I wish to see (Saruman) and learn if he really looks like you ( Gandalf)."
"And how will you learn that, Master Dwarf?" said Gandalf." Saruman could look like me in your eyes, if it suited his purpose with you. And are you yet wise enough to detect all his counterfeits? Well, we shall see.."

~

"Those who listen unwarily to the ( voice of Saruman) could seldom report the words that they heard; and if they did, they wondered, for little power remained in them. Mostly they remembered only that it was a delight to hear the voice speaking, all that it said seemed wise and reasonable, and desire awoke in them by swift agreement to seem wise themselves."

~
"You are a liar, Saruman, and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me, and I perceive only a finger of the claw of Mordor, Cruel and cold!....A lesser son of great sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewhither. But I fear your voice has lost its charm."

~
"So great was the power that Saruman exerted in this last effort that none that stood withinin hearing were unmoved...Even in the mind of Theoden the thought took shape, like a shadow of doubt: '(Gandalf) will betray us; he will go-we shall be lost.'
-Then Gandalf laughed. The fantasy vanished like a puff of smoke."

~
"Gandalf has grown, or something. He can be both kinder and more alarming, merrier and more solemn than before, I think. He has changed, but we have not had a chance to see how much."

~

"When have I been hasty or unwary, who have waited and prepared for so many long years?' said Aragorn.
"Never yet. Do not then stumble at the end of the road." said Gandalf.

No comments: