August 14, 2007

happy one month anniversary, love the army

So, today Brett and I have been married for one whole month. WOO.

The army gave us the special gift of taking away my husband for three whole days. Boo.

I think it hits me in weird waves that life is so incredibly different, and that my only real friend is my husband and he's not around very often at all...at times I get overwhelmed at the enormity of all the changes.
I want to make friends, I want to find a place in a church or something of that nature, I want to find where I fit with Brett's friends, with Brett's work, with my own work....there is so much that I feel completely at a loss about.
Last night I couldnt sleep so I was reading "Gold Cord" by Amy Carmichael and I was reminded ( strangely, because it was not in context) of a verse that God gave me when I first returned to the US from New Zealand and was faced with many of these same issues ( homesickness, friendlessness, a loss of where you fit...)
Jeremiah 17:7-8
But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
whose confidence is in him.

He will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit."


For some reason, I thought that just because I had done this homesickness/total newness/let's start life over business TWICE before that it would be easier this time. And maybe in some ways it is...yet, it still is incredibly real pain to miss you best friends, to want someone to watch movies with and eat pizza with, someone who knows all your back story, people who have seen you cry...
and I feel JUST as lost and directionless now as I ever did when I first arrived in New Zealand...or when I got back to Texas.

Oh, but it is easier, isnt it? It is because of verses like "He named it Ebenezer, saying, "Thus far has the LORD helped us."

How true that is...

In other news, I had my second day of coffee shop training today. It was actually way more fun than yesterday- I learned how to make drinks!!! I start my first REAL shift on monday...6:45 till 1pm. Whew! Talk about baptism by fire, huh?!

2 comments:

Carina said...

Make sure you have a good breakfast and drink lots of fluids...it's going to be a long day...

Anonymous said...

Yes! I jist finished an 8 hour and 5 minute shift and I was so tired and thirsty! I wish I could come and eat pizza and watch movies with you. :(