February 26, 2009

Alias: a relationship story

So, for the past two months I've been watching Alias. I lie. For the past month I've been watching Alias. I mean, I wish I could say its been two months because then the fact that I'm on season FOUR ( and towards the end of it, I might add) wouldn't seem so terribly wrong and then all of you would actually believe that I do things during the day and, infact, don't sit around watching TV. ( I really do usually only watch Alias in bed before I go to sleep.....it just takes a long time to go to sleep. ;-)

Alias is one of those shows that I watched in high school. Or the end of high school. And then I moved to New Zealand and my mom would actually TAPE the shows for me and send them to me in the mail on VHS tapes. *pause to let that sink in*
At the time this did not seem particularly lame, but now looking back I cannot IMAGINE how sad I must have been that I loved TV shows SO MUCH that I couldn't bare to wait from them to come out on DVD....OooOoOooh!! That's right! This was before TV shows came out on DVD!!!! Whew! I'm not as lame as I thought ( but still pretty lame, lets not lie...) I'm just really OLD! Anyway, back to the story....so my mom would send me Alias on VHS and I pretty much watched all of season two that way....waiting patiently for my mom to send me recordings of prime time television- which I would then take my VHS tape up to my friend Lydia's flat and I'd watch my shows, fastforwarding the commercials ( but sometimes...when I was really homesick for the US, I'd watch the commercials just to remind me of what Coke looked like in the states. *sigh*) Annnyway, then my mom sent me the final tape, the tape that had the FINALE of season two on it...and I was SO excited!!!! I remember how ran up the hill to the flat ( probably huffing and puffing...because how can we forget the 30 pounds I gained those first years in college?!?! MAN!!! Who can resist New Zealand food, right?!?)
SO! I finally get to the flat and I'm watching Alias...and BOY! Its SOO good, and I'm on the edge of my seat! And the big cliff hanger is coming...and....and.....the tape cuts off!!! I then screamed so loud that Sunshine heard me downstairs and had to come up and check to make sure I was alive.

It was at this point that I lost interest in Alias. Because, lets be honest...once the sting of the loss of the last two minutes of Season two wore off, I was able to LET GO...and move forward with my life.....and it wasn't until recently that I even thought about Sydney and Vaughn or Marshall ( the BEST character. by far) at all!

But, there is nothing like having ones husband leave for 12 months to leave a giant hole in your schedule and thus force you to return to old friends....so I picked up this old dusty relationship with the help of my friend Bethany and her 5 seasons on DVD. ( she's so young, she probably doesn't remember a life without TV shows on DVD......she has NO IDEA how HARD it was back in the olden days!)....And so I began at the beginning and I relived the joys of season one when Sydney is all angsty and whiny about having to LIE to her friends and co-workers about her true identity ( geez, girl! get over it!) and yet season one is really awesome because there are lots more "dress up sequences" which, to be honest, make the show great....who really CARES about some made-up organization that needs to be taken down when you've got cute outfits and awesome wigs to look at and critic?!? Of course, by now I'm hooked...and I remembered why I loved Alias in the first place and so I was off and running into season two-which was highly anticipated because that's the season of Sydney+Vaughn= most inprobable makeout scene winners of the world, happens...
Seriously. Its worth the whole season. Its seriously unbelievably funny.

But, then I moved on to season three...but maybe I moved on too quickly? And I was starting to be annoyed by all the spying and all the sydney whining and all the girl fights. BUT, as luck would have it, I took a trip to NY for the weekend, giving Alias and I much needed "space" to work out our differences and I came back with a more open mind and the commitment to overlook the shortfalls and make season three work. And, my hardwork paid off...with the death of the MOST ANNOYING Character EVER.

Which brings us to Season four. Which, so far, is my favorite. Its pretty much a repeat of season one..( and if you've seen season four you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about...its almost laughable how similar it is!!!) exept, unlike season 1, the show has worked out its kinks and figured out what works. ( aka. MORE MARSHALL...the best character ever.) Soooooo, friends and family....when you are all tucked up in your warm beds and you think about me...and you wonder what I'm doing to pass the cold, lonely nights without my husband....wonder no longer.
Or at least for the next 4-7 days ( which is how long I'm guessing it will take me to finish season four and complete season five)....after which I suppose all have to find a new quasi-relationship show to watch.

No comments: