February 08, 2009

Fuzzy wuzzy, wasn't very fuzzy was he?

I'm just waking up from an afternoon nap. ahhhhh! I think I really needed it! I can usually tell when a MUST HAVE nap is coming on because a headache starts to creep into the back of my temples....

But, now I'm sitting on my couch with a quilt, and my Brett Bear Waterbottle, finishing but my bible study for tonight...

This weekend has been pretty eventful-not so much in my own life but in my intercessory life...meaning the people that I pray for the most just got bumped up a couple of notches and I'm struck once again for the need to spend time in prayer on a daily basis for those I care about.

But, since all of that is very vague and not very blog-interesting how about I give you a review of the two movies I saw this weekend? Sound good?

Marley and Me. Now, my bro-in-law gave Brett and I this book on CD for our drive from Washington to Kansas many moons ago and we loved it! We laughed, we cried ( seriously, we both did!) and it was definitely a great little book. The movie, I must admit was also good at capturing the way in which life can take us in directions that we didn't expect, and that some of the sacrifices we make, for family and for those we love, can make that different direction turn into the life we truly love and would not give up....all through the story of a family dog no less! I will say this, though...the book did a much better job of capturing Marley's admirable and sometimes truly humanizing acts of love...while the movie focused more on how crazy and out of control the dog could also be.
Watch the movie, bring some tissues....read the book and bring the whole BOX of tissues. Your choice.


On saturday I watched another movie based on a book, He's just not that into you. And while this movie had some very clever moments and made one laugh at the many lies that we often tell our friends just to make them feel better...over all this movie had waaaay too many cringe worthy scenes and focused on the sadder more terrible decisions of the Love and War of relationships then on the positive and more uplifting " exceptions" to the terrible "rule"....I spent the middle part of the movie trying to distract myself with checking my emails on my phone, it was that hard to watch! If you want to watch this movie I suggest renting it when it comes out on video and fastforwarding every scene with Scarlett Johanson ( who I just found out has the same birthday is me...but is a year younger. that's weird. I don't like her. She always plays cheating hussies in her films).

1 comment:

Stacey said...

In response to the "He's just not that into you" movie, I too was dooped. I was taken to this movie on my birthday (having heard NOTHING about it... we aren't movie people and you'll understand why in a minute). I was DISGUSTED. Like you said, there were a few clever things and I think the movie should have stuck with that part of the story line and forgot the rest. UGH. I felt so disgusting after watching it and I was embarrassed to be seen walking out of the movie theater. But what made me sick the most, was all the young girls in the theater that kept making "awwww" and "how sweet" sounds all around me. I wanted to stand up, shake them all and tell them that they were buying into a lie that that was romance! This is what the world is feeding our young girls. Lies, lies, lies. It's down right gross. Thus, the reason we don't do movies that often, because I hate feeling dooped by them (meaning Hollywood).