July 13, 2011

a mouthful

Yesterday was crazy, even for me....I hung out with four different ladies and baby sat for another little lady, all back to back to back. Ransom was grumpy. But now that I look back on it, he probably just felt out numbered.

In other semi-related news, I'm trying my hand at homemade teething biscuits. Ransom has never been one for teethers, and usually when he seems to be in pain nothing really works, but I'm desperate and they also looked kind of yummy ( plus I had all the ingredients in the house already!)...The jury is still out on whether he likes it, he's been holding and periodically putting it in his mouth for about 5 minutes...so we'll see.

Incidentally, if you are thinking about getting married the dates between July 10-15th are really pretty great and I now know a TON of people who's wedding anniversary is this week, so apparently it works ;-) . Brett and my 4th anniversary is on Thursday ( BIIIIIG celebration coming on Saturday...stay tuned) but our friends the McKnight's 3rd anniversary was yesterday so I took care of their 1 year old daughter Elizabeth for them. It was super fun. And I think if you could get past the whole infancy stage ( isn't that with all babies?!?) I think it would kind of be fun to have twins.
Watching R and E interacting was loads of fun, and double the cuteness...


Update: Ok, so he successfully finished his biscuit.  I'm going to go with he likes it, but its definitely a sit and watch him while he eats it food...unlike SOME children Ransom tried his hand at shoving the WHOLE THING in his mouth at once. Luckily he'd already nibbled off about half of it, but it was still a lot to chew ( and swallow).


If you'd like to make these teething biscuits: 

1 cup whole wheat, all-purpose, barley or oat flour
1 cup dry infant rice or oat cereal
1 very ripe banana, mashed until smooth, some apple sauce if needed
2 Tbsp. canola or olive oil
Preheat oven to 375˚F. 
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and cereal. In a small bowl, stir together the banana, oil and about 2 Tbsp. water; add to the dry ingredients and stir until you have a soft dough, adding a bit more water or flour  ( I actually added about a Tablespoon of applesauce) as needed until the dough comes together and is not too sticky. (It will depend largely on the size of the banana, and how juicy it is.)
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out about 1/4-inch thick and cut into smooth shapes (circles or sticks, without pointy edges – squish them a bit with your fingers). Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Cool completely and store extras in an airtight container.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree...July is a great time to get married! (our anniversary was yesterday also, for three years) I'll have to keep the teething biscuits in mind. David is already a drool machine and I am not looking forward to the teeting stage!