January 07, 2012

One day at a time...

This year I'm not counting the days Brett is gone. I'm consciously not figuring out just how long Brett's going to be out of the picture of our family. Instead we're taking it one day at a time....and out of that has come my favorite New Year's Resolution. It actually just happened rather than me "resolving it so"...and I suppose my hope is that I'll keep it up...

On facebook at the end of each day I am recording the best things about that day. Simple. Not anything new. But I've found, in the need to document the good things, I'm continually on the look out. And, since its not like our days are that jam packed around here, its a bit more tricky and you have to be on the look out for the special moments.

For instance, yesterday one of my favorite moments was when I was scrubbing the bathtub. Well, wait...let me re-phrase. I actually hate scrubbing the bathtub...I'm pretty sure that's what they'll be doing in Hell. So, instead let me quickly continue by saying that while I was scrubbing the bathtub Ransom came in and brought me one of his favorite books-one that had been strategically "hiding" at the bottom of the book pile after I got super tired of it-He had obviously found it and in his joy had brought it to me to read. "MO!" he said... "MO!" ( meaning "more"...which also translates into just about anything that he would like at any given time.)
So I stopped scrubbing ( really, any excuse there...) and read the book right there on the bathroom floor. And the after a few more minutes of scrubbing and Ransom investigating his bathtoys that were hanging out on the floor while I cleaned...once again he stuck the book back in my face "MO!"

And so I read that stupid Colors: Slide and Seek book about five times while trying to clean the tub, each time I'd stop cleaning and Ransom would position himself into my lap with a little satisfied sigh.
Honestly it was fun. And I loved that Ransom loves his books. And I also love that I don't love cleaning the tub so much that I don't mind "breaking the task up a bit". hahaha!

I also was stripping the guest bed and putting fresh sheets and after sticking the old sheets in the laundry I came back to see this....

These are the good moments. And I think that when I look carefully, they out weigh the bad moments by quite a lot.

3 comments:

Amy Bushatz said...

Now THAT is a cute kid! And I like your Facebook idea. I might steal it.

The Spychallas said...

I love that you're looking at the positive over the negative. It doesn't change the yucky circumstance, but it definitely helps (me at least) with attitude. Love you! And I agree with Amy - I might steal your FB idea as well.

Anonymous said...

LOVE it!!! What a great way to clean the tub, too :) I really can't believe how much Ransom's grown in the past 6 months!
-adelaide