June 30, 2012

Eating for 3 ( hundred).

So, I have a cold. Which is never awesome. Its also not awesome when you're pregnant because you can't take any of the good "hardcore" drugs that actually make you feel better. Also, its not like that morning sickness has really gone away, and phlegm is just what I need (!!). Oh, and its 115 degrees outside. Actually its 106. But with the humidity its definitely 115.

Ok, so that's my segue into what happened next. So, there we were driving down the hot hot highway of Georgia, coming back from a 5-hours-away over night trip...when my craving hit me like a ton of bricks. I wanted some lemon chicken soup. Basically I knew I'd had something of that nature two years ago when my friend Keri made me some soup as part of several FANTASTIC meals that she made me after Ransom was born. One of the many many ( MANY) reason's I miss her so terribly now that she has moved is that I will not get her incredible cooking any more....tears.
So, yes, back to my craving. Since it had been two years I only had vague memory of the soup I'd had, but after some internet searching and a desperate trip to the store ( where I left my cellphone in the grocery cart and had to run back in, borrow someone's phone and track my iphone down-which had already gone to someone who'd taken the cart...eek!)....I made this soup.

Its call Greek Lemon Chicken Soup. And yeah, you'll have to turn the air-conditioner up...but I feel that the lemon-y flavor makes it just summery enough.....

8 cups of chicken broth ( go low sodium if you can)
1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice, plus another lemon to squeeze a bit over each bowl
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1/2 c. chopped celery ( I left this out...because...ew)
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 cup cooked white rice ( I think you could go noodle or even Orzo if you wanted...)
1 c. diced, cooked chicken meat ( I used a rotisserie )
8 egg yolks
2 c. chopped fresh spinach

1. In large pot combine first 6 ingredients and bring to boil on high then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes ( or for how ever long it takes to go to the store, loose your phone and get it back).

2. Mix in cream of chicken soup, till fully combined.

3. Beat your egg yolks until they have turned a bit lighter in color, then add a little of the hot soup to the egg yolks and mix in well. Return mixture to the soup pot and heat through.

4. Add rice and chicken and spinach. Serve with a garnish of lemon and a big piece of good bread and butter. YUM.

No comments: